Oct 16, 2012

MOBILE INTERNET IN GREECE

Vodafone SIM card bought for 10 euro
After a long and tiring flight with multiple layovers, all I wanted was a hot shower and an internet connection. Fortunately, I was able to find a convenient solution for my internet needs while abroad. 

Upon arriving at The Met Hotel in Thessaloniki, I stopped by a nearby grocery store where I was able to purchase a prepaid SIM card for only 10 euros. The shop owner spoke good English with a strong Greek accent, and he had all the SIM cards I needed. When I asked if the card came with an internet connection, he replied with a chuckle, "Internet on the phone? I don't know, but you can make a call!"

Other than phone cards, the kiosk also selling this.
I had assumed that all prepaid SIM cards nowadays come with internet access, but when I inserted the SIM card, I was met with a popup notice saying it was not provisioned. When I told the shop owner, he asked me what a Blackberry was. I explained that it was a phone that could access the internet, similar to an iPhone. He then said that if I couldn't make a call, it wasn't a good phone. 

Back at the hotel, the helpful receptionist informed me that the issue wasn't technical, but rather a political decision for security reasons. She explained that the only way to get a prepaid mobile internet subscription in Greece was to sign up for a monthly contract, which was a postpaid plan. She also mentioned that it was difficult to get a postpaid mobile internet subscription and not really worth it for tourists staying in Greece for a short period.

Thessaloniki Stunning Sunset
  Thessaloniki Waterfront 
                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment